5 best tips when you start packing your home:
By guest blogger – Vancouver In The Box
1. Before you start packing: The biggest mistake people do when their house is sold and they
have a closing day, is to buy boxes and start packing. Yes, packing takes a lot of time but, long time before you start boxing your belonging, your best step is to de clutter and get rid of items you don’t need.
2. “I don’t have a lot of stuff”. It’s very common to underestimate how much stuff we have. When everything we have is inside cupboards and drawers its hard to imagine how many boxes, we need in order to
move our belongings. Most people will look around and think, have a lot of stuff ". Small kitchen in 1-2-bedroom apartment has about 10-15 boxes. An Ikea book case with 5 shelves needs to be cleared into 8-10 boxes.
Try to walk inside your house like a stranger
and write down room by room how many boxes you think you have. Always add 15% extra.
3. Free boxes: As much as you like reuse and recycle, before picking up free used boxes from friends or a back alley of a store, make sure you know where these boxes were used before. Insects like bedbugs and
silverfish live inside cardboard boxes. If your friend has a cat and you are allergic to cats, your packing task will turn to a nightmare. Few companies in metro Vancouver will rent out plastic boxes that will always arrive clean
to your home and will be picked up after you done unpacking.
4. Where to start packing: Start with seasonal items and things you don’t use frequently. A day before the move: pack important documents, passports and MSP cards with toiletries and clothes you will need for
the next 2 days in a suite case and place in your car before movers arrive.
5. Finally, leave all the keys to your old house (storage, garage, shed...) and all appliances manuals in one spot for the new owner.
Vancouver In The Box, provides packing and unpacking services since 2009 Call or email to arrange a free in home estimate: